Mesa 7.5 Release Notes / 17 July 2009
Mesa 7.5 is a new development release. People who are concerned with stability and reliability should stick with the 7.4.x branch or wait for Mesa 7.5.1.
The main new feature of Mesa 7.5 is the Gallium3D infrastructure.
Mesa 7.5 implements the OpenGL 2.1 API, but the version reported by glGetString(GL_VERSION) depends on the particular driver being used. Some drivers don't support all the features required in OpenGL 2.1.
See the Compiling/Installing page for prerequisites for DRI hardware acceleration.
Note that the Mesa project is no longer using odd/even version numbers to indicate development/stable releases. The so-called development releases have been fairly stable. If you're especially concerned with stability you should probably look for "point" releases such as 7.5.1 which will be a bug-fix release.
553fd956e544727f30fbe249619b6286 MesaLib-7.5.tar.gz 459f332551f6ebb86f384d21dd15e1f0 MesaLib-7.5.tar.bz2 8c02c0e17a9025250d20424ae32f5163 MesaLib-7.5.zip a188da2886fa5496ea0c2cda602b2eeb MesaDemos-7.5.tar.gz 398ee8801814a00e47f6c2314e3dfddc MesaDemos-7.5.tar.bz2 15a0c8ae013c54335a26335e1a98d609 MesaDemos-7.5.zip 81010147def5a644ba14f9bbb7a49a2a MesaGLUT-7.5.tar.gz baa7a1e850b6e39bae58868fd0684004 MesaGLUT-7.5.tar.bz2 265228418e4423fa328f2f5b7970cf08 MesaGLUT-7.5.zip
- Gallium3D - this is the new architecture for OS-independent and
API-independent 3D drivers.
Gallium3D is intended for GPUs that fully support vertex/fragment shaders.
The Gallium3D drivers currently included are:
- softpipe - a software/reference driver
- i915 - Intel 915/945 driver
- Cell - IBM/Sony/Toshiba Cell processor driver
- nouveau (for NVIDIA GPUs) and R300 for (AMD/ATI R300). PLEASE NOTE: these drivers are incomplete and still under development. It's probably NOT worthwhile to report any bugs unless you have patches.
- GL_ARB_framebuffer_object extension (software drivers, i965 driver)
- Reworked two-sided stencil support. This allows a driver to support all three variations of two-sided stencil including GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side and OpenGL 2.0
- GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra extension (software drivers, i965 driver)
- GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 extension (software drivers, i965/i915 drivers)
- GL_EXT_texture_swizzle extension (software drivers, i965 driver)
- Updated SPARC assembly optimizations (David S. Miller)
- Initial support for separate compilation units in GLSL compiler.
- Increased max number of generic GLSL varying variables to 16 (formerly 8).
- GLSL linker now detects when too many varying variables are used.
- Optimize-out redundant glMaterial and glShadeModel calls in display lists
- Fixed gl_TextureMatrix[i][j] array indexing bug in GLSL compiler.
- Lots of i965 driver bug fixes
- Fixed some GLSL preprocessor bugs
- GLSL: continue inside of a for-loop didn't work
- Remove support for GL_SGIX_shadow, GL_SGIX_shadow_ambient and GL_SGIX_depth_texture extensions. Superseded by the ARB versions.
- Omitted some old Mesa demos from the release tarballs, added some others.